The Stornoway Waterwheel was completed in 2005 and is located in Willowglen of the Castle Grounds. The wheel generates 4kw of power for the lights in the grounds. There is an interpretive centre adjacent to the wheel which explains the interesting historic site.
The Willowglen area of the Castle Grounds was formerly known as Mill Croft, extending from what is now Willowglen road up to what is now the Council Depot, click here to see 1785 plans of the croft. The first mill in this area was positioned near to what is now the main Stornoway Tarbert road, just up from the Cabarfeidh Hotel exit. The Glen river used to take a bend over this way prior to it being made straighter by either the MacKenzies or Mathesons in the early 1800’s.
Old map of the waterwheel
Click on map for larger version