Arnish Lighthouse was built in 1852. John J MacLennan of Stornoway takes a look back at how it came to be built in an article published by the Stornoway Gazette in September 2003 - click here for pdf version. The history of this Stornoway landmark is also explained here by the Stornoway Historical Society.
Below is an picture (also courtesy of John J Maclennan, Stornoway) showing Arnish prior to the industrial development. Picture was taken in mid 1960s. Pictured in the photograph is Kildun House, which no longer exists; this is where Bonnie Prince Charlie stayed during his escape from Hanovarian troops after the Battle of Culloden. (see Lews Castle, Bonnie Prince Charlie Monument section)
The Coal Hulks which were in Glumaig until 1962 have gone from the landscape.